Thursday, October 30, 2008

Finally, in the woods

Monday was the first day I’ve had a chance to go deer hunting this year.
With Jett and the job and all, it’s just been tough to find time. Anyway, it’s been really hot until this week so it didn't matter.
I tried out a new spot for the first time. I have access to the 50 or so acres behind my house now, so that cuts out a 15-minute drive and the extra planning of going to Terrell.
I was so anxious to get out there this week. It’s been a long time since I’ve hunted somewhere new and given I hadn’t been this year at all, I was itching to get a chance.
But I didn’t see a thing.
It was a great day to be in the woods though, about 45 degrees, rather cold for October here.
The leaves just started changing.
I had a lot stacked against me. I didn’t have any food out (corn is $9.99 a freaking bag!) and I’ve opted (or been forced, depending on how you look at it) to try the ultimate challenge – taking a deer, with my bow, from the ground.
I don’t have a treestand up and Monday, I was pretty much sitting at the base of a tree. I had cut a few shooting lanes the other day (actually spooked one deer while doing it) and cleared away leaves at the tree, which is next to a fallen log. But after about an hour, really before that, I realized I need to get a little better set up. I found my old hunting bucket and I think I’ll also use my old camo umbrella/blind to shield my right side.
I’ll get it figured out.

No comments: